Friday, July 6, 2012

It's so New Mexico ...

Sometimes a sense of place is in our heads, right? I live in Texas but I am from New Mexico and it lives in my soul. I'm adopted and have only recently found out that I have deep New Mexico roots. My biological father's ancestors were early Spanish and Anglo settlers, making me a fifth-generation New Mexican. Maybe that's why the land in New Mexico can make me feel so alive. I swear I can walk along a scruffy ditch bank in the North Valley of Albuquerque and feel better than if i were strolling a perfect sandy beach. Certain smells also make me think - and yearn - for New Mexico. Like roasted green chile. I planted ONE plant in my garden this spring for fun. So far, it has yielded three smallish chiles. I roasted them this week. It's kind of sad just to have three ... you usually need a bushel! But gawd, they were HOT. Damn. I'll plant more next year. Here they are:


1 comment: