Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What New Mexico means to me.


I went home recently. Home is Albuquerque, N.M. Home is Albuquerque's North Valley, where I happily hiked and biked the irrigation ditch trails as a kid. (And yes, I swam in the water too, many times!) Home is 240 Pueblo Solano, the adobe-style house my father built before I was even born. Home is old friends and happy memories. Home is the blue skies, the watermelon-red color the Sandias (which means watermelon) turn briefly near sunset. Home is green chile, and red chile and it's put on everything, including the beef jerky. Home is that feeling like none other ... the feeling of comfort and safety and happiness and belonging.    

Many people travel to New Mexico for Santa Fe or Taos, for skiing,  shopping or spas. I'll take a walk along a North Valley ditch bank and have a chile relleno and a marg at Sadie's and catch up with you later!






No comments:

Post a Comment