Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Lost in place ...

I wanted to add a comment to this blog that my friend Jenny sent to me via FB but couldn't post.)
Before the (insert life change here), I would have told my child that place doesn't matter. That you are you and the place you stand is just a changing backdrop, irrelevant to what you become. But now, every time, I run through downtown Cedar Rapids, drive over the river (so tame this year because of the drought), I know that is not true. I know that place leaves an imprint. Being from somewhere gives you a place to stand on, and run from or back to as 

1 comment:

  1. (I wanted to add a comment to this blog that my friend Jenny sent to me via FB but couldn't post.)
    Before the (insert life change here), I would have told my child that place doesn't matter. That you are you and the place you stand is just a changing backdrop, irrelevant to what you become. But now, every time, I run through downtown Cedar Rapids, drive over the river (so tame this year because of the drought), I know that is not true. I know that place leaves an imprint. Being from somewhere gives you a place to stand on, and run from or back to as much as you need. Home is the physical manifestation of what our hearts need. From a blogger, not me, but saying something I've felt but been unable to articulate for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete